- 1974 – 1976 Potchefstroom University BA (Political Science and International Relations)
- 1977 – 1978 Potchefstroom University Hons BA (Political Science with distinction)
- 1979 – 1982 Potchefstroom University MA (Political Science with distinction)
- 1982 – 1984 State University of New York at Albany MA (Political Science)
- 1982 – 1984 Fulbright Fellowship for study in the USA.
- 2002 – 2006 Currently finalising a PhD in Industrial Psychology and Public Management with a topic on Transformation, Burnout and Engagement in Local Government Transformation.
Research fields and publications
- Attend the 2004 PISTA conference on e-Governance in Orlando, Florida with a paper on the implementation of an e-governance strategy for the Potchefstroom Municipality.
- Addressed the First International Conference on Burnout on the issue of transformation and burnout during April 2002.
- Member of the CRC Consortium that undertook an in-depth study into the conflicts at the mines surrounding Rustenburg for the North West Government (2000-2001).
- During July 1999 he addressed the International Summit of Public Service Reform in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada) on political change and transformation in South Africa (Jointly with MEC S Roopa and Dr. A. Karodia).